Sexual transgressive behavior can also be reflected in the environment. Consider, for example, a classroom where there are posters of naked women and where co-workers are constantly telling lewd jokes among themselves.
Sexual statements or jokes, or accessing porn sites at work also fall under the definition of sexually transgressive behavior.
Why do victims often not realize they are victims?
Situations of sexually transgressive behavior are often characterized by a certain ambiguity, so that the victim is is not sure Whether he/she is a victim. Sexual transgressive behavior does not only manifest itself in touching, as is sometimes thought. A person can be the victim of unwanted behavior without being specially targeted, by being in a environment with strong sexual connotations to be located.
Moreover, a victim of unwanted behavior can seemingly participate and thus contribute to this atmosphere. Laughter or sexual statements can be a sign of embarrassment, of wanting to belong to the group or a defense mechanism.
How to respond when confronted with inappropriate behavior?
Victims are often paralyzed and then do not see what is going on. Hence the importance of preventive information so that employees are better armed when problems arise:
- Consider the feeling of discomfort you are experiencing as a signal that cannot be ignored;
- say clearly that a statement or certain behavior bothers you, and ask that it stop;
- dare to set limits: this is different for everyone and not everyone has the same sense of humor;
- talk about it with those around you and, if necessary, with your company’s occupational physician, prevention advisor or confidential advisor;
- note the facts and provide chronological traces (e-mail, text message);
- Don’t shut yourself up inside yourself;
- Be guided by a
What are the benefits of counseling sexually transgressive behavior through mediation?
Mediation takes place under clear conditions.
These are “confidentiality,” “voluntariness” and “the recognition by the parties that there is a problem to which they – under the guidance of a professional (accredited mediator) – wish to give a solution.